Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Favourite Cheap Eats- Italian Food Restaurant

IMG_3864IMG_3866

In the area where I work downtown there is a dearth of decent places to eat during lunch hour. There are basically two options: overpriced restaurants to which business people bring their clients in hopes of impressing them or disgusting food court slop. My little oasis of Italian Food in this culinary desert is a place called Cafe Presto. It is a terribly cute restaurant with a very unassuming name owned by two brothers who welcome everyone warmly and make everything on the menu sound really good.

IMG_3865

One of their most brilliant strokes of inspiration was setting up the dessert cart in the middle of the restaurant. When you have been staring at a cannoli for half an hour it doesn’t take much for the waiter to convince you to order dessert.

IMG_3857

One of the things I love about this place is how incredibly cheap it is. Main course with a large roll, salad and dessert will only set you back 13 bucks and that is including tax. The menu is fairly limited, there are maybe only 5 items, but everything is really well made and tastes like it was made by an Italian grandmother.

IMG_3858

Here is a shot of my salad from the last time I went.

IMG_3861

My nice big roll. I had already eaten around half by the time I remembered to take a picture.

IMG_3862

I always have the same thing whenever I go: Penne Arrabiata with an Italian sausage.

IMG_3863

My friend had meat cannelloni in tomato sauce.

As usual the food was great, we ended up splitting up a piece of chocolate cake for dessert but I forgot to take pictures. Oops!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin