Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chocolate Buttercream Cake

IMG_4657

I love chocolate. If there was a detox program for chocolate dependence I would quite possibly check myself in. Every time I get a new cookbook I mentally make a note of all the chocolate desserts and keep them in mind for future occasions, because I cannot, unfortunately, make desserts too often as my tortoise-like metabolism cannot handle it.

This recipe comes from one of Ina Garten’s cookbooks and I had been eyeing it for a while. I actually made this for New Year’s day, which if you have been following my blog realize was a fiesta of gluttony. Oh well, the holidays come but once a year. All the same, as much as I love rich food I am glad that they are over and I can get back to my regular eating habits.

IMG_4541

The recipe began with the basic creaming of butter and sugar.

IMG_4550

Once that was done I added my eggs and vanilla extract.

IMG_4555

The recipe called for prepared coffee but since I didn’t feel like brewing up an entire pot I used some coffee extract. Every time I open this bottle it smells like fresh coffee in the kitchen.

IMG_4559

This then got mixed in with some buttermilk.

IMG_4561

Cocoa powder. Yeah, I can’t be bothered to sift anything. Maybe if I were having the Queen over for tea I would go through the trouble but not until then.

IMG_4565

The milk, cocoa powder and flour were added in alternating batches until they were completely combined.

IMG_4567

I had to restrain myself from just eating the cake batter. It was super chocolaty and thick. I think The Husband is the only person on the planet that does not like the taste of raw cake batter or cookie dough.

IMG_4572

Before baking.

IMG_4593

After baking. I’m not quite sure why it developed a crack. Oh well, at least it was going to be covered in frosting and no one would notice.

IMG_4623IMG_4626

For the frosting egg whites and sugar were placed over simmering water until the sugar had dissolved.

IMG_4628

Once that was done I added in some cream of tartar and whipped them.

IMG_4635IMG_4637

I then added in a criminal amount of softened butter spoonful by spoonful until was all incorporated, hence why it looks so yellow.

IMG_4640

Next step was adding in melted chocolate…

IMG_4649IMG_4647

and beat the frosting until it was nice and fluffy.

IMG_4651

In order to make sure that the two layers sat properly on top of each other I trimmed a bit off the top which is why it looks a little decapitated.

IMG_4653

I love frosting cakes. There is just something so fun about smearing great globs of buttercream on a cake.

IMG_4656

I decorated the cake simply by adding some chocolate sprinkles on top.

IMG_4658

This was really good but oh so rich. A bit too rich for me even; Buttercream is something which can only be eaten in small quantities. I forgot to take a picture when I cut it. Oops, I was a bad blogger. The cake itself was very dense and fudgy but the frosting was a bit light on the chocolate. I think my personal preferences run towards cocoa powder based frostings rather than melted chocolate. I’m glad I made it and everyone really liked it. After the meal was over I safely stowed the leftovers in the freezer to keep them far away so I wouldn’t be tempted.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin