Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Caramel Fondue

IMG_5981
As I mentioned in my last post, The Husband and I had fondue for our anniversary. Here is the caramel one I made for him. The recipe comes from here. It is only in French but you can run it through the translator here.
IMG_5952
First of all check out our super retro fondue pot. Since we pretty much eloped (I got married in jeans, at city hall, no I am not joking) and did not have the benefit of having a registry, pretty much 90% of our dishware comes from The Husband’s grandparents. Being the frugal bunch that they were some of their stuff dates back to the 50’s. It is quite amusing pulling out random kitchen utensils and trying to figure out to which war they date back to; World War II? Vietnam? Korean War? Fun times.
IMG_5953
Sorry about all the shadows. The pot has high sides that slope in so it was a bit rough trying to take pictures. Anyways, you start off with water, sugar and corn syrup then bring it to a boil.
IMG_5962
I’m always nervous whenever I have sugar boiling on the stove. Being accident prone I always envision some kind of disaster occurring.
IMG_5967
You let the caramel boil away until it reaches the desired colour. The darker it gets the stronger the flavour will be. If it gets too dark it will just taste burnt though.
IMG_5968
The butter goes in then.
IMG_5970
Followed by heavy cream
IMG_5972
and some milk with cornstarch mixed in.
IMG_5975
You bring it back up to a boil until it is thickened and smooth. The whole process takes around 10 minutes, tops.
IMG_5982
The Husband dipped pound cake and apples into his fondue and was very happy with his dessert. For my tastes I let the caramel brown a wee bit too much but he thought that it was perfect. The leftovers reheat well although it really thickens upon cooling down so you need to add more cream to thin it out and then bring it to a boil again. Fondue is a fun dessert and not very difficult to make at all, It’s definitely a repeat for next valentine’s day.
del.icio.us Tags: ,,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin