Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding

IMG_5024

I have always wondered why the British seem to refer to everything as pudding. Pudding can be a dessert, a savoury meat dish (blood pudding) or a baked good such as Yorkshire pudding. Being Canadian a pudding always makes me think of a soft custard based dessert. Anyone have any idea why the word “pudding” has become such a culinary catchall in Britain? Anyways, given my love of all things British, Yorkshire puddings were next on my list of things that I wanted to make.

IMG_4991

This recipe was ridiculously easy to make. The ingredients: flour, salt and dried rosemary. You can leave the rosemary out but I toss it in on a whim.

IMG_4993

In a bowl to the side: eggs, melted butter and milk mixed together. Traditionally pan drippings would have been used instead of the melted butter which would of course have give it much better flavour. Note to self: start saving pan drippings.

IMG_4994

The wet and the dry ingredients then made their acquaintance.

IMG_4996

When it was all mixed together it was extremely soupy.

IMG_5003

I forgot to mention that before you pour the batter into the ramekins you need to pour a teaspoon of oil into each and put them in the oven until they’re sizzling hot. The batter was so runny that I was worried that they were not going to rise.

IMG_5006

I should have had more faith because halfway through the cooking time they were coming along nicely.

IMG_5008

Nice and golden. I have no idea why they were lopsided though. Very weird.

IMG_5011IMG_5022

We ate them with sausages and gravy which made a most appropriate accompaniment. They were nice and crisp on the outside and fluffy and eggy on the inside. They were perfect for mopping up stray gravy on my plate. Next time I make a roast beef I am definitely making this on the side.

del.icio.us Tags:
Blog Widget by LinkWithin