Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Fondue

IMG_5994

This past week was The Husband’s and mine 9th year anniversary. Go us! and what better way to celebrate it than with stuffing our faces. For dessert I wanted to make fondue but since he doesn’t like chocolate, silly boy, I made two different ones: caramel for him and chocolate dulce de leche fondue for me.

IMG_5966

This recipe is dangerously easy to make. I say dangerous because you can easily make it in less than five minutes in the microwave; you don’t even need a fondue pot.

IMG_5978

To start off you need chocolate, bittersweet or semisweet, whatever floats your boat. Personally I always use semisweet chocolate. Avoid using chocolate chips as they have stabilizers in them and don’t work as well as baking chocolate. As well you need to add enough heavy cream to cover the chocolate halfway, you want it thick but still liquid enough to coat whatever you are dipping easily.

IMG_5980

As you can see, I changed bowls. I originally started melting the chocolate on the stove but got rather impatient and decided to do it in the microwave. I put it in at 30 second intervals, stirring each time until everything was smooth.

IMG_5984

All melted.

IMG_5987

Since melted chocolate wasn’t enough I decided to add dulce de leche. It was a very happy day for me when they started selling this stuff in the supermarket, I think I almost started doing a happy dance in the middle of the aisle.

IMG_5989

As you can see at this point I had poured the chocolate back into the fondue pot. I added a generous spoonful of dulce de leche and stirred until everything was incorporated.

IMG_5991

I meant to buy strawberries and bananas for dipping but I completely forgot so I made pound cake and used marshmallows.

del.icio.us Tags: ,,

IMG_5995

This was so good. Chocolate covered pound cake = instant winner. Don’t worry, I didn’t finish that entire vat in one shot. Do make this at home for your significant over and impress them. I still can’t believe how ridiculously easy it is. You even really don’t need a fondue pot. We actually borrowed my in-law’s in order to have two dessert fondue pots but chocolate doesn’t cool down so quickly that you absolutely need one. I have to say adding dulce de leche was a great move; chocolate and dulce de leche were meant to go together.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin