Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Flourless Nut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG_6388IMG_6377

This past weekend I had a craving for chocolate chip cookies in the evening but I didn’t feel like dragging out the mixer and making a huge mess. I had seen a gluten free cookie recipe in a magazine that week so I was inspired to try to make flourless chocolate chip cookies and came up with the following recipe. You cannot mess this up and it literally takes 5 minutes to put together with minimal mess. Within 20 minutes from start to finish you can be eating hot chocolate chip cookies out of the oven.

IMG_6347

To start off you need a cup of your favourite nut butter. Because of the husband’s nut allergies I always end up soy nut butter but feel free to use whatever you want.

IMG_6349

I decided to go with chocolate soy nut butter for extra chocolate.

IMG_6352

Next you add between 3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar. If you’re using unsweetened nut butter I would use a cup. Since I was using pre-sweetened soy nut butter I added 3/4 of a cup. If you want add a splash of vanilla extract. As well, you need 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

IMG_6353

I also added roasted soy nuts.

IMG_6354

And oats in addition to chocolate chips.

IMG_6359

In total I added around a cup of extras. Feel free to add whatever you want: dried fruit, different nuts etc. I ended up using two eggs to help everything come together. If you want to add more than a cup of extras add a few more tablespoons of nut butter and another egg.

IMG_6361

Everything all mixed together.

IMG_6364IMG_6365

I then used my trusty mini ice cream scoop to make small cookies. They went in the oven at 350 Celsius for roughly 12 minutes until the edges started to brown.

IMG_6368IMG_6385

Be careful not to overcook them since they can get hard very quickly.

 IMG_6376 IMG_6374

I was pleasantly surprised by these cookies. They were nice and chewy and in spite of my fears that they wouldn’t come together they had a great texture. There are a lot of gluten intolerant people now and this would be a great recipe to make if you’re baking for someone who can’t have gluten. Most oats can contain traces of gluten so I would leave them out and add something else instead in that case. The fact that this recipe is so fast and easy to make is a huge plus. I’ve been bringing them to work as a snack and even after a few days they are still chewy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin