Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Southwestern Chicken, Cheese and Corn Skillet

IMG_6463

And easy way to get The Husband to eat something is to either cover it in cheese or encase it in pastry. For this recipe I chose to take the former route. I ended up making this when we had come back from grocery shopping and I needed to get lunch on the table quickly. The ingredients are pretty basic and most people have them on hand. Start to finish this takes roughly 25 minutes with all the prep time included.

IMG_6438

To start off I made the coating for the chicken. In the bowl there is cumin, chili pepper, salt, pepper and flour.

IMG_6439

Chicken breast pieces from the grocery store.

IMG_6440

While you could skip the step of rolling the chicken in flour before pan frying it, it gives it a nice texture and added taste.

IMG_6442

I added a little bit of oil to the pan and coooked the chicken on both sides until it was browned and cooked through.

IMG_6443

For me anything Tex-Mex or Southwestern pretty much demands diced green onions.

IMG_6444

A few minutes before the chicken was done I added the green onions. Chopped poblanos would be good in this as well.

IMG_6451

Since I was using frozen corn and I didn’t want my chicken to dry out I removed it from the pan and put it to the side.

IMG_6446

The corn went into the pan.

IMG_6449

I added in one chopped red chili. If The Husband wasn’t eating this as well I would have added more but he’s a wuss when it comes to eating hot food. I’m slowly working on increasing his heat tolerance by sneaking chilies into food.

IMG_6450

I love how quickly frozen corn thaws. It has made my life easier on more than one occasion.

IMG_6452

Once the corn was heated through and there was no significant amount of water left in the pan I added in a generous splash of lime juice.

IMG_6454

I dumped the chicken back in, gave everything a stir and added a generous amount of cheddar on top. This would also work really well with Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese. Once the cheese had melted it was done.

IMG_6462

This was really good, except I added too much cheese. When I told the husband this he said that there is no such thing as too much cheese. Spoken like a true guy. I served it with a side of cornbread but you could put it in a tortilla or with a side of Mexican rice.

del.icio.us Tags: ,,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin