Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Afternoon Tea Pudding

IMG_8001

I am pretty good at “reading” recipes. Meaning I can usually tell by looking at the ingredients and the proportions if the recipe will work out or not. Last week however, I made a recipe for Southern biscuits that didn’t turn out that well. They were too flat and not fluffy enough, so while I am still looking for a good biscuit recipe I decided to hunt around for something to do with the leftovers. I found a recipe for “Afternoon Tea Pudding” which is basically bread pudding made with jam and scones. While biscuits aren’t scones, they’re fairly close so I decided to make it.

IMG_7967

Leftover biscuits.

IMG_7968

I cut them in half in order to make more layers.

IMG_7970

I buttered a dish and spread strawberry jam on each of them and stacked them with the jam side facing up.

IMG_7975

For the custard I started off with 3 whole eggs and 1/3 cup of sugar.

IMG_7976

Vanilla extract.

IMG_7977

Whisked together.

IMG_7978

To that I added 1 and 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 3/4 cup of regular milk mixed together and heated up in the microwave.

IMG_7980

I added it gradually to the eggs while whisking to make sure that I didn’t end up with scrambled eggs.

IMG_7981

IMG_7983

I slowly added the milk/egg mixture to the biscuits and let them soak for 10 minutes to allow them to soak up some liquid.

IMG_7986

To cook the pudding I put it in my largest lasagne pan and added in boiling water around it. It went into the oven for 35-40 minutes at 350 (or it might have been 375, sorry, I can’t remember).

IMG_7989

IMG_7988

When the top was golden and the custard was cooked thoroughly I took it out of the oven and let it cool down.

IMG_8006

IMG_8003

IMG_7997

This was really good. The custard was sweet but not overly so and the biscuits were soft but not mushy. The jam was a nice touch as well, adding and extra layer of flavour and texture. I had some Devonshire cream so I added a dollop on the side. Surprisingly enough this tasted even better the next day and it was even good cold. This is a really great way to use up leftover scones or biscuits which are going stale that you might have laying around the kitchen.

del.icio.us Tags: ,,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin