Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chicken Liver Pate

IMG_7945 IMG_7966

Let me start off by saying that even though I will eat pretty much everything I will not eat liver. I love trying pretty much anything but I would have to be on Survivor and have to eat some to have immunity and even then I would choke it down. Why then did I make chicken liver pate? Because the husband requested it. So without any further ado, here is my no recipe version of chicken liver pate loosely based off of a version from Gordon Ramsey.

IMG_7927

After trimming the chicken livers I left them soaking milk overnight. Why do this? I have no clue, but since I don’t know anything about cooking liver I followed instructions.

IMG_7931

Before cooking them I let them drain thoroughly for a few minutes. I think that it would take a whole passel of photographers to make damp chicken livers look good.

IMG_7926

When in doubt, start off with bacon.

IMG_7932

I crisped it in the pan and saved the fat.

IMG_7928

For a change and for the flavour I decided to use French shallots instead of plain onions.

IMG_7935

As Martha would say, “frying onions in bacon fat; it’s a good thing”. Hmmm I think I just unleashed my inner Paul Deen with that sentence.

IMG_7938

Once the onions were browned I chucked in the chicken livers.

IMG_7939

I also added in salt, pepper and thyme.

IMG_7941

Once all the liquid had evaporated and the chicken livers were cooked thoroughly I pureed them in the food processor until the mixture was smooth. This is completely random but in French a food processor is called “un robot culinaire”. “Culinary robot” sounds much more interesting than “food processor” don’t you think?

IMG_7942

All done.

IMG_7944

IMG_7964

The Husband enjoyed his pate although it made a lot more than I was expecting. Poor guy, he’ll have to finish it off on his own because this time, since it involves liver, I’m not taking one for the team!

del.icio.us Tags:
Blog Widget by LinkWithin