Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Butterscotch Cookies



The following recipe is one of The Husband's favourites. These cookies are really addictive and we both love anything caramel or butterscotch. I got this one from Martha Stewart's website. I followed the recipe with one minor ingredient substitution and I also left out the nuts. There's not much explanation so I will just give you a pictorial description of the process.



Creaming the butter and sugar together. I use dark brown sugar instead of light brown in my recipes. I think it gives them a better flavour.



If you read the recipe you will notice that it calls for dry milk powder. Since I never have any in the house I just always use custard powder, although I think you could leave it out altogether and it would be fine.



Egg, custard powder, baking soda and vanilla going into the butter and sugar mixture.


 

The dough after two additions of flour.



This is my trusty mini ice cream scoop. It is terribly useful for scooping cookies or meatballs. I don't think I have ever used it for ice cream once. I remember looking for one this size for a long time, the only place I could find it was in a kitchen supply shop where it cost 30$ which is ridiculous. I ended up finding it at Canadian Tire (a hardware store) for 10$. Yay!




The dough is pretty stiff so you have to flour your fingers to press the cookies down a bit.

 

These cookies are really tasty and not too sweet in spite of the name. I prefer softer cookies but if you make smaller spoonfuls and bake a little longer the cookies will be nice and crispy. This makes a lot, I think I filled 2 1/2 full sized sheet pans. The cookie jar was completely full but even so the Husband polished off the whole batch in a week.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin