Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Baked Tofu and Soba Wakame Soup

IMG_7753

I collect food like other people collect knick knacks. While I plan out the week’s menu in advance and shop accordingly it still doesn’t stop me from tossing in various other things into the grocery cart. Lately, to use up some of the surplus, I’ve been trying to cut back on the pre-planned meals and improvise in order to use up everything I’ve been hoarding. This recipe was the result of me poking my head into the pantry and trying to figure out what I was going to have for dinner at the last minute.

IMG_7728

IMG_7729

I’m one of those people who actually likes tofu, even though it is pretty tasteless by itself.

IMG_7731

IMG_7732

Instead of adding in plain tofu I decided to marinade it before I tossed it into the oven to bake. I used a mixture of garlic (sorry, I was having a lazy food blogger day and used the stuff from the jar), ginger, sesame oil, maple syrup and rice vinegar. I was short on time so the tofu ended up just soaking for five minutes.

IMG_7735

Going into the oven.

IMG_7740

After 10 minutes at 450 I took them out of the oven to turn them.

IMG_7749

After 20 minutes they were done. They look a little burnt but it’s just the marinade that makes them look so dark.

IMG_7741

Instant soup. *gasp*. I can’t find dashi or dried wakame where I live so I ended up using instant soup packets. Even though I try to avoid using pre-packaged food sometimes I don’t have much of a choice.

IMG_7742

IMG_7743

I had some soba noodles that had been hanging around the pantry for a while that I decided to add to the soup. I love soba even though I don’t think about using it often. The noodles are made out of buckwheat flour and have a hearty texture and a slightly nutty taste.

IMG_7747

Also some green onions.

IMG_7751

I threw all the ingredients into the pot and let them boil away until the noodles were tender.

IMG_7755

For an improvised meal this was pretty good. I liked the flavour of the tofu but next time I will let it marinate a lot longer so that the flavour gets stronger. The broth was savoury and went perfectly with the taste of the noodles. For a veggie meal this was rather filling. I don’t make a lot of Asian meals so this was a nice change.

del.icio.us Tags:
Blog Widget by LinkWithin