Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Adventures in ice cream making

I have finally acquired an ice cream maker. So I add yet, another weapon to my culinary arsenal. The husband is bemused about yet another kitchen gadget in our cupboards. It comes courtesy of Costco. Land of discounted goods and impulse buys. I had been thinking about buying one for a while so when I saw one, I took it as a sign of the kitchen deities.

The new member of the family
I have yet to buy an ice cream cookbook but I did buy Fine Cooking for June/July 2009 which features a nice article by David Leobovitz, author of "The perfect scoop."

I decided to make Vanilla Bean and Dulce de Leche ice cream. It's not in the magazine but since I love anything with Dulce de Leche I thought it would be a good idea.


The method if fairly simple. You can find the basic vanilla recipe here: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/double-vanilla-bourbon-ice-cream.aspx?nterms=54162

This is at the beginning of the recipe. I added 1/4 of a cup of sugar too much (oops) and no bourbon. The little brown strings are vanilla bean pods.



This is after the mixture sat for an hour infusing and the egg yolks were added. I love the golden colour and the little flecks of vanilla. Although you can't make them out from this picture.

After an enormous mess the whole thing is currently sitting in the freezer. I of course liked the spatula I used to scrape it out and it tastes awesome.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin