Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Broccoli Soup for Dummies


A long time ago I used to buy soup in a can for when I really didn't feel like cooking and needed something for dinner. I quit when I told this to my good friend Roxy and she looked at me like I had two heads and ask why I would ever do this when soup is so easy and fast to make. She was right and ever since then I make all my soup from scratch.



One of the easiest and tastiest soups to make is Broccoli and Cheddar Soup. One a cold and rainy day it is good for what ails you. As everything is getting pureed it doesn't really matter if you use frozen or fresh broccoli but I had fresh this time.

In a pan you saute one roughly chopped onion and some chopped up broccoli until the onion is brown (or translucent if you're in a hurry).



You then half cover the veggies with water and then fully cover them with chicken broth. I used to use just chicken broth but I felt it overpowered the taste of the broccoli. You then let that boil until the broccoli is tender.



Once everything is tender you blitz it in a blender, return it to the pan and add liberal amounts of cheddar cheese and some milk or cream if you are so inclined. You can see the last of the cheese sink into the soup. I know it looks a bit like swamp goo at this stage but bear with me.


 
I always stop and taste it at this point for flavour and texture. I felt that it was too thin and ended up thickening it with some flour dissolved in a bit of water. I also added:

-Salt and pepper
-Cayenne
-Strong English mustard
-Fresh thyme

for flavour.



When I served myself I added a little Sriracha hot sauce for an extra kick and to cut the richness of the soup. So simple but so good. It literally takes 5 minutes of chopping and grating and 20 minutes on the stove but it tastes a million times better than anything that comes out of a can or an envelope in the supermarket.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin