Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sushi Inn- Toronto


I love Japanese food. When I was 14 I was lucky enough to live in Japan for a year as part of a student exchange program and the food was one of my favourite parts. Another restaurant I always like to go to when I am in Toronto is called Sushi Inn. They have more authentic Japanese food like katsudon and Japanese style fried oysters than you will find in an average Japanese restaurant and the price is really reasonable. I started going there when I was going to university in downtown Toronto about 10 years ago (wow, time flies by!) and even back then the lineup was always out the door. Since then they've expanded because they are so popular. The quality of the fish is impeccable, it is always fresh. While we were there on a Saturday for lunch we saw the sushi chefs get a delivery of salmon. High turnover and a busy restaurant are always good signs for a sushi restaurant.
I asked the sushi chefs if I could take a picture of their bar and they gave me a weird look but said ok. I don't ask before taking pictures of food that I have ordered but sometimes places can get weird about general pictures of the place so I decided to ask.
For lunch my Dad decided to get one of their sushi specials which came in a cute little boat.
My Mom got mixed seafood and veggie tempura since she is not a raw fish fan.
And since I was on vacation and everyone know that vacation calories don't count I got one of their bento boxes and a rainbow roll which has crab, cucumber, avocado, tobiko, tuna, salmon and white fish.
As always the food was great. The bento box is an amazing deal. For 12.50$ you get miso soup, salad, shrimp tempura, vegetable tempura, 3 pieces of salmon sashimi, rice and chicken teriyaki. I really like their chicken teriyaki as it is not the sugary, sickly sweet affair you will find in most mall food courts. The chicken is actually grilled rather than just pan fried and it makes a big difference in taste. The contrast between the smoky grilled chicken and the sweet and savoury teriyaki sauce is especially pleasing. Their fish is buttery and firm like all good quality sushi fish should be. It was a bit difficult to get to this restaurant due to traffic but it was well worth the effort.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin