Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Cauliflower and Potato Curry- Aloo Gobi

IMG_7210

As you can probably tell from my blog, I love Indian food. I’ve tried many different kinds and when I saw this curry in William Sonoma’s “A Taste of the World” cookbook I knew I wanted to try it. In the description it said that this is a mild curry which is very popular with children but since I like heat I ended up adding chilies to the recipe.

Cauliflower Curry

The ingredients: potatoes, onions, chopped red chilies, coconut milk and fresh tomatoes.

IMG_7191

I started off the recipe by cooking onions over low heat along with the chilies, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, cayenne, ginger, ground coriander and minced garlic. Most Indian recipes call for ghee (clarified butter) but since I don’t have any and can’t be bothered to make some I just use regular butter.

IMG_7195

Once the onions were browned and soft I added two tomatoes which had gotten too soft to eat raw and a few heaping tablespoons of tomato paste.

IMG_7201

At this point I added in the cauliflower, the diced potatoes and the coconut milk. I let the mixture come to a boil and then put the lid on and lowered the heat.

IMG_7206

After roughly 20-25 minutes everything was done and I added in a generous amount of chopped coriander right before I served the curry. I love adding cilantro at the last moment, it gives dishes that nice bit of green. I know a few people that absolutely loathe cilantro, among them The Husband, but to me not eating cilantro is a bit unfathomable.

IMG_7218

This curry was really mild with the tomatoes and the coconut milk. It would be something that you could make for someone who doesn’t like spicy food to help ease them into the world of Indian food. As much as I liked this dish I have to confess that two hours after eating this I was absolutely ravenous since there is pretty much no protein in this dish. If you’re someone like me who required protein to feel satisfied I would add some chicken breast or tofu to make this into a full meal.

del.icio.us Tags:
Blog Widget by LinkWithin