Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cheesy Beef Noodles (a.k.a. Homemade Hamburger Helper)

IMG_7609

This is another recipe to put in the “Husband Friendly Food” file. I’ve never actually had hamburger helper but I image that this is what it tastes like. This recipe is pretty basic: cheese, noodles, sauce and meat but it’s pretty tasty and economical.

IMG_7590

First off onions. I think there are very few recipes that don’t start off with chopped onions.

IMG_7597

While that was going on I started boiling some egg noodles.

IMG_7595

The original recipe calls for ground beef but The Husband bought ground bison instead. I personally like ground bison better than beef, it is actually leaner and has a nicer taste. It’s becoming more and more available. If you see it in the supermarket do give it a try.

IMG_7596

I browned the meat along with the onions in a pan and added salt, pepper, minced garlic and chilli powder.

IMG_7598

Also a dash of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.

IMG_7599

To make the sauce I threw in a heaping tablespoon of flour and roughly a cup of chicken broth as well as a generous amount of cheddar cheese.

IMG_7600

I let everything come to a boil until the cheese was melted and the sauce had thickened.

IMG_7604

Once the noodles were done I drained them and stirred them into the sauce. I turned the heat on low and let the pasta sit so the flavours could come together and everything could thicken further.

IMG_7612

IMG_7609

This a nice change from the usual tomato based meat sauce and comes together really quickly. It really is one of those recipes for which you do not need to measure and pretty much any meat loving spouse or small child will eat.

del.icio.us Tags: ,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin