Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Double Chocolate Jam Brownies

IMG_7813

I am currently learning how to drive at the ripe old age of 28. Unfortunately we are still in the stone age and own a manual car. This leads to much cussing and me holding up traffic while I try to get the blasted car started again. Since chocolate will magically smooth away all crankiness I came home from a particularly rough driving lesson and made these brownies. While I wish that I had much more constructive way of coping with stress, say jogging or cleaning like some people I know, baking does have its own rewards. This recipe comes from a cookbook called “Cook in Boots”. I could not find a recipe online and since I don’t want to get sued I can’t post it. Sorry!

Double Chocolate Jam Brownies

Ingredient collage: butter, semi-sweet chocolate, brown sugar, white sugar and eggs.

IMG_7764

IMG_7767

As much as I love all things sugary made out of white flour they make my blood sugar crash. Since whole wheat flour makes baked goods taste more like hockey pucks I am trying out an enriched white flour blend. It has the texture of white flour but the fiber of whole wheat. Other than the fact that it is a little darker than white flour it pretty much has the same texture.

IMG_7763

Here are all the ingredients together with some vanilla extract.

IMG_7768

The batter.

IMG_7770

The chocolate melted along with the butter.

IMG_7772

All together now.

IMG_7773

A handful of chocolate chips, hence the double chocolate in the recipe title.

IMG_7775

I had just opened a new jar of jam which I wasn’t super crazy about. It was good but way too tart, so I decided to mix it in to the brownies for extra flavour.

IMG_7776

IMG_7779

I had to mix everything really well since the jam came out in one big gelatinous blob.

IMG_7781

Ready to go in the oven.

IMG_7786

After 35 minutes. I actually ended up using a bigger pan than what the recipe originally called for. Next time I will use an even bigger pan so everything cooks more evenly.

IMG_7799

IMG_7818

These came out very dense and are halfway between fudgey and cakey. The jam added a nice subtle flavour although next time I would add white chocolate chunks for more contrast instead of the chocolate chips. These are really good and they most definitely made up for my bad day!

del.icio.us Tags: ,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin