Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)

IMG_6756

I love chickpeas. They are incredibly versatile and are part of my “I forgot to plan dinner and am stuck rummaging around the pantry” arsenal. For this recipe you just need a few pantry essentials and you can pull it together in less than 20 minutes.

IMG_6721

First off a chopped onion.

IMG_6725

Once that is cooked a generous amount of pureed tomatoes.

IMG_6726

And some fresh garlic.

IMG_6729

As well, some red chillies that were hanging around the fridge.

IMG_6727

Some salt, pepper and dried basil.

IMG_6731 

You then need to let that bubble away for a few minutes until it thickens.

IMG_6734

Now for the beans part of the recipe. You can use whatever you would like but I’m rather partial to chickpeas. I always rinse them since I can’t stand the liquid that they come in.

IMG_6737

Stirred into the sauce.

IMG_6739

I used penne for the pasta but you could just use spaghetti.

IMG_6741

After giving it a taste I decided that something was missing and grated in a generous amount of parmesan cheese.

IMG_6745

Fast and cheap. What is there not to love about this? And since there is no such thing as too much parmesan, I added some on top at the end.

del.icio.us Tags:
Blog Widget by LinkWithin