Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Black Currant Pound Cake

IMG_9062

Whenever I see a fruit or vegetable that I don’t recognize in the grocery store I have a compulsion to buy some and then I’m not quite sure what to do with them. Usually if it’s a veggie I roast them, and if it’s a fruit I chuck them into a pound cake.

IMG_9069

Seriously, you cannot go wrong with pound cake. When I saw these black currants I immediately wanted to try them.

IMG_9075

But when I tasted one they were unpalatably sour. Since I adore cranberry pound cake, I decided to give the black currants the same treatment.

IMG_9078

I always use Martha Stewart’s recipe. It is delicious, but you must absolutely use butter, no margarine. Maybe in some other recipes you can get away with margarine but in this recipe it is crucial.

IMG_9086 

Golden and delicious, the tart taste of the currants made an excellent contrast to the sweetness of the bread. Next time I see black currants in the grocery store, I must buy some and try this out again.

 

del.icio.us Tags: ,

Blog Widget by LinkWithin