Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Japanese Chili Pork Ramen

IMG_9131

You’ll rarely see me post pasta recipes because honestly, it’s just not my thing. I do however, have a thing for ramen noodles, even though it has been years since I have had some. Traditional Japanese ramen is a huge bowl of broth, ramen noodles, and different vegetables and meats depending on the recipe; each region in Japan has their version. You’ll notice there is no broth in my version. This is just personal preference as I have never particularly cared for the broth and have always felt that it just made it messier to eat.

For this recipe you will need:

Ramen noodles Minced pork
Sambal Oelek or another chili sauce Green onions
Fresh cilantro Minced garlic
Roasted sesame seeds Salt and pepper
Baby spinach  

 

IMG_9102

First of all you cook your pork until nearly browned.

IMG_9100

Then add minced garlic.

IMG_9103

Roasted sesame seeds and salt and pepper.

IMG_9104

Once the meet is cooked thoroughly you put in a few tablespoons of Sambal Oelek. If you don’t have any feel free to use another type of chili sauce or you could even puree red chillies and use that instead.

IMG_9106

IMG_9117

IMG_9116 

Next, green onions and spinach go into the pan.

IMG_9122

I usually use frozen baby spinach, since I can never finish the fresh kind before it goes bad.

IMG_9124

And also some fresh cilantro, right at the end.

IMG_9129

Give it a good stir and you’re ready to serve it. If you like your green onions very well cooked leave it on the heat a while longer, personally I like when they still have a bite to them as it makes for a good textural contrast with the meat and noodles.

IMG_9108

While all of that is going on you can start your noodles. Try to get actual Japanese ramen noodles and not just the no name stuff in the styrofoam containers.

IMG_9110

Since I don’t care for the broth I used just enough water to cook the noodles and two of the flavour packets that came with them. If you like the broth, use more water and all the flavour packets.

IMG_9128

To serve just take some noodles and broth, if you’re using it, put them in a large bowl and add a generous amount of the pork mixture on top.

IMG_9140

IMG_9144

I really enjoyed this. It had been so long since I had eaten ramen so it really hit the spot. And I finally bought a pair of chopsticks to eat it properly. The Husband can’t eat with them so he thinks I have some kind of amazing talent to be able to do it. Poor boy, so gastronomically sheltered. I’ve tried to expand his horizons, but alas, no dice. This made lots of leftovers and overall it is a really cheap meal that can easily be stretched out. The biggest expense is the ground pork but the noodles are a buck or two per package and you could add more noodles and keep the same amount of meat. This meal is both tasty and budget friendly.

del.icio.us Tags: ,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin