Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Japanese Broiled Salmon

IMG_8420

IMG_8419

Ok my friends, prepare to be introduced to one of the most delicious, easy and dummy-proof salmon dishes ever. You will need:

Big filet of salmon Sake
Pepper Soy sauce
Ginger Garlic
Spicy mayonnaise or regular Furikake or nori
Roasted sesame seeds  

IMG_8382 

First you start with the marinade: pepper, sake, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. I just eyeballed a generous amount of sake (since booze makes everything better), a splash of soy sauce and some garlic and ginger.

IMG_8383

Marinade.

IMG_8386

Salmon filet.

IMG_8387

Marinate the salmon for 15-30 minutes. I don’t like to leave it in the marinade too long because the flavour of the salmon can easily get overwhelmed.

IMG_8402

The special ingredient. Thai hot chili mayonnaise is life changing. If you can find it, buy some.

IMG_8403

Take the salmon out of the marinade and slather it with mayonnaise. I know, mayonnaise on salmon? I too was skeptical when I read the recipe, but I saw the light after I tasted it. And it was good.

IMG_8400

Now you sprinkle on the furikake, (mixture of seaweed, bonito flakes and sesame seeds usually) or crumbled seaweed.

IMG_8405

And a generous amount of roasted sesame seeds.

IMG_8406

Put the filet in the oven at 400 degrees until it’s cooked and flaky. How long it takes depends on how thick your fish is.

IMG_8409

IMG_8423

IMG_8412

This is bliss my friends. The mayo, seaweed and salmon go so well together and I love the flavour of the roasted sesame seeds. This recipe requires very little prep and tastes amazing. You really don’t need much more than some steamed rice and some veggies alongside. This is a great dinner party recipe since you can easily double the servings by getting a larger filet.

del.icio.us Tags: ,
Blog Widget by LinkWithin