Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Japanese Curry

IMG_9371

Curry is one of those foods that is very popular outside Japan but virtually unknown outside the country. Recently, I was in a Korean supermarket and they had a small Japanese food section in which they sold Japanese curry mix. I practically did a happy dance in the aisle and then ran home to make this recipe. Japanese curry tastes quite different from Indian curries, it is a lot milder and slightly sweet, but quite delicious.

IMG_9325

To start off with you brown onions and carrots in a pot.

IMG_9327

Followed by mushrooms.

IMG_9330

IMG_9332

And potatoes and garlic at the last moment.

IMG_9336 

Most curries I have had are made with pork, but honestly, since I don’t really like meat I ended up using chicken.

IMG_9337

At this point you add in your curry mix. It might say hot on the package but it is incredibly mild. I would have to spike it liberally with chillies to come anywhere near hot.

IMG_9339

IMG_9341

IMG_9344

The curry basically looks like a gigantic chocolate bar and has the consistency of a boullion cube.

IMG_9345

Now you add water to your veggie and meat mixture, and the curry. It will sort of melt into the water and form a stew.

IMG_9354

At this point in time it will be very soupy but if you let it cook for a while it will thicken up.

IMG_9356

Like this.

IMG_9347

IMG_9350

Usually curry is eaten with pickled vegetables and rice. I love pickled lotus roots but all they had at the store was pickled radish. They look a bit like lemon candies when sliced up, no? I wasn’t a big fan as they were too sweet for my tastes.

IMG_9362

I also made some quick pickled green onions on the side.

I hadn’t eaten this in years so I was really happy to finally have found the mix to make it. I usually don’t cook from pre-made mixes but I wasn’t able to find a Japanese curry recipe and since everyone in Japan uses the mix, that’s good enough for me. It’s not the most photogenic picture but it sure is tasty.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin