Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Brandied Shrimp


In order to balance the butter and cream in my diet, I do attempt sometimes to make lighter dishes. I decided to make brandied shrimp loosely based on a recipe by Ingrid Hoffman. I say loosely because her recipe involved ketchup. Blech. Unless your shrimp are breaded and fried, ketchup should not be anywhere near them. See that measly little pile of shrimp in the colander? 17 bucks worth of shrimp. Oi! Seafood is expensive in my neck of the woods. Anyways, here are the ingredients:

-Butter
-Olive Oil
-Roasted Garlic (I buy the roasted garlic paste that comes in a little jar. Awesome stuff.)
-Worcestershire Sauce
-Pureed Tomatoes
-Brandy
-Habanero Hot Sauce
-Salt and Pepper
-Tomato Paste

I browned the shrimp in butter, garlic and olive oil along with salt and pepper and added all the other ingredients and let it reduce a bit.


Oops, that picture is a little blurry. Here's a better one:

Overall, a pretty good recipe. It's pretty straightforward but tasty and very fast to put together. One thing I love about shrimp is that they thaw so quickly and you can "creatively" thaw them in water and the texture does not really suffer. If you're the type who often needs to come up with last minute dinner ideas I would really recommend keeping a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. Strangely enough, even though I will spend hours cooking I get rather lazy with certain things, i.e. peeling and deveining shrimp. I bless the kind soul who decided to start selling frozen, uncooked, deveined, shelled shrimp and wish many culinary blessings upon them since they've saved me from this aggravating task many times.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin