Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Scotch Eggs


I have always loved anything British, including the food. Yes, I know there are many stories about bad British food but any nation that gave the world High Tea, Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson cannot be all that bad. So in my continuing quest to try British food I decided to make Scotch Eggs this weekend (which are English, not Scottish in spite of the name).


I seem to begin a lot of recipes with sausages don't I? Maybe I need to branch out a bit but mentioning that there is sausage in something is a sure way to get The Husband to try it. Anyways, in the bowl above there is:

-Four Italian sausages (one per egg)
-Salt
-Pepper
-Sage (I *love* sage but the man is very sensitive to it and I added too much this time)
-Thyme

which I mixed together to make the coating.

And of course to make Scotch Eggs you need eggs. Here are the four eggs, patiently awaiting their thick sausagey blanket (yes, I know that is not a real word).

As for breading you can't go wrong with panko.

I always try to take pictures of the meal making process but getting the eggs encased in sausage was such a total mess that I wasn't able to. The sausage kept on sticking my fingers, not to the eggs and making a gloppy mess. I ended up moistening my hands and that seemed to work better but the sausage got a little bit too wet; it ended up being a miracle that I was able to get all four eggs coated properly. I think if I made this again that I would cover the eggs in sausage and them put them in the fridge for a bit to let the sausage firm up because when I picked up the eggs to coat them in the flour, egg and breadcrumb the sausage started to come off.

After 25 minutes in the oven my little creations were ready. The Husband's comment was that they were like having breakfast for lunch, and that I had put in too much sage (oops). I liked them, in spite of the fact that they were a bit tricky to make. This would make a good brunch recipe or a good "I-don't-know-what-to-make" recipe since the basic ingredients, sausage and eggs, are something that most people have in the house. Strangely enough, I found this recipe in a Southern cookbook but it looked authentic enough. I'd make them again which just goes to show you that messy preparation is not a deterrent for me.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin