Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt


Ever since I got my ice cream maker it has gotten quite a workout. My newest experiment is strawberry frozen yogurt. The husband loves strawberries and since the store bought ice cream he had is almost finished I decided to make this for him.

Here are my ingredients:

-2 cups whole fat yogurt
-2 cups 2% yogurt
-1lb frozen strawberries
-Sugar to taste
-2 tablespoons of corn syrup


Since you can't add chunks of fruit directly to ice cream/frozen yogurt because they'll just turn into fruity flavoured ice pellets I started off by microwaving my frozen berries until they were soft enough to be pureed. Yeah, I know, strawberries are in season, but I didn't have any in the fridge today.

Next, I strained my pureed strawberries. I should have just skipped this step since it didn't accomplish much and my strawberries were pretty much liquefied in the blender anyways.


Doesn't this look like tomato soup? It's the strawberries along with the two yogurts, sugar to taste and two tablespoons of corn syrup. Normally I don't add corn syrup to very many things but while poking around the internet trying to find frozen yogurt recipes a few sites suggested that corn syrup improved the texture. While I was adding it I kept on thinking about all of those magazine articles that say that corn syrup is the cause of the dietary downfall of western society but I don't think a couple of tablespoons can hurt.

After everything was mixed thoroughly I tossed it into the ice cream maker for 25 minutes. Isn't the colour pretty? Seriously, ice cream has to be one of the fastest things to make, depending on the recipe of course. But given that with a few minutes of prep you can get something far superior to what you can buy at the supermarket an ice cream maker is most definitively a worthwhile investment.

Here is the finished result. The husband loves this recipe. My only complaint is that it is a bit hard to scoop hence why I couldn't make nice little balls for my photograph. I'm guessing because of the fruit and yogurt that the water content is a lot higher than in regular ice cream thus making it a lot harder. If you're on a diet you could easily make this with non-fat yogurt to make it low cal.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin