Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Patacones (a.k.a. Tostones, a.k.a. Fried Plantains)


At work a few months ago they started stocking plantain chips in the vending machine. Very quickly they became popular and they were always out of stock. Then they stopped carrying them and instead put something healthy, oven baked and completely tasteless in their place casting many people into mourning. It had been a while since I had had some so when we went to a different supermarket than our usual one and I happily saw that they had plantains I bought two and decided to make Patacones.

Patacones are like plantain chips but thicker and can be eaten as an appetitzer or side dish. They're easy but good.

I peeled my plantains and cut them into one inch pieces.

For deep frying I like using one of my Le Creuset pots since it keeps the temperature even and the sides are high. I always contemplate getting a deep fryer and start having visions of making chicken wings and doughnuts (not together of course) but then I pull myself back from that caloric abyss.


Here is my first batch.


Then they get flipped after a few minutes.


Patacones
need to be fried twice (healthy isn't it?). After the first frying the slices get pressed down (I use a heavy glass), to make them thinner and then fried again for a few minutes more on each side.


After they are nice and golden I drain them on paper towel and sprinkle them with salt.


Patacones are like chips, you can't eat just one. I like to have them with guacamole and fresh tomato salsa. Then contrast between the crispy, salty Patacones and the cool, smooth guacamole along with the fiery salsa tastes like heaven. They also keep surprisingly well. To reheat I put them in the oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and they taste like as though they just came out of the fryer.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin